OPA Strategic Plan FY 2021-2025
Objective 1: Improve the ability of decision makers to use data and tools that can help to optimize investments in biomedical research
OPA supports the NIH mission by providing data, tools, analyses, and training necessary for NIH leadership, ICO staff, and other stakeholders to make informed decisions about biomedical research investments.
The benefits of a data-driven approach include the potential to inform strategic planning, evaluate the use of different funding approaches, optimize peer review, improve portfolio management, and avoid unnecessary duplication of effort while maintaining a diverse and broad distribution of investments in biomedical research.
Metrics developed by OPA to track scientific influence and predict the likelihood that research will translate from bench to bedside represent major advances toward a multifaceted approach to research assessment. OPA provides various webtools in support of data-driven decision making, including the iSearch next-generation analytical suite and the publicly available iCite resource.
- Determine past productivity by quantifying the advancement of scientific knowledge
- Develop methods that measure scientific rigor, reproducibility, and transparency
- Develop methods that measure data/resource sharing
- Facilitate increased productivity by using AI/ML to detect and/or predict the impact of policy and funding decisions in real time
- Inform effective management of the training pipeline and scientific workforce
This page last reviewed on November 3, 2021