Implementing the Strategic Plan for NIH Nutrition Research
The Strategic Plan for NIH Nutrition Research was released in May 2020. An article by Drs. Francis S. Collins and Griffin P. Rodgers, Precision Nutrition—the Answer to “What to Eat to Stay Healthy,” described NIH efforts to advance the field of precision nutrition, the core vision of the strategic plan, and introduced a large cohort study in development: Nutrition for Precision Health, powered by the All of Us Research Program.
The National Institutes of Health (NIH) has begun implementing the strategic plan and will monitor and encourage progress. As the plan is put into action, the NIH will continue to seek input from the nutrition community and others. Implementation Working Groups will pursue opportunities to
- advance the priorities identified in each of the strategic goals and cross-cutting research areas, and
- catalyze nutrition research at NIH-funded universities and institutions and in NIH labs.
To further assist with the coordination and implementation of the Strategic Plan for NIH Nutrition Research, NIH Institute and Center Directors appointed a Senior Leadership Group (SLG) for the Office of Nutrition Research.
The opportunities in the strategic plan complement and enhance ongoing research efforts across NIH to improve health and to prevent or combat diseases and conditions affected by nutrition. The figure below shows estimated NIH nutrition research funding for FY 2020.
Estimated Nutrition Research Funding, Fiscal Year (FY) 2020
Funding Opportunities & Notices
The following funding opportunities and notices have been released to address focus areas of the strategic plan. Additional announcements may be released as the strategic plan is implemented.
- NOT-RM-21-005 Request for Information: Data Science Challenges and Opportunities in the Field of Precision Nutrition
- NOT-RM-20-017 Request for Information: Challenges and Opportunities in Precision Nutrition Research
- PAR-20-133 Gastrointestinal (GI) and Microbiome Explorers: Development of Swallowable Smart Pills or Devices for Precision Nutrition, Microbiome and Digestive Disease Applications (R21/R33 Clinical Trial Required)
- PAR-20-134 Development of Wearable Smart Devices for Continuous Monitoring of Circulating Nutrients, Metabolites and Hormones (R21/R33 Clinical Trial Required)
- NOT-DK-20-001 Notice of Special Interest: Development of Swallowable Smart Pills or Devices for Precision Nutrition, Microbiome and Digestive Disease Applications
- NOT-DK-20-002 Notice of Special Interest: Small Business Development of Wearable Smart Devices for Continuous Monitoring of Circulating Nutrients, Metabolites and Hormones
- RFA-DK-19-017 The Physiology of the Weight Reduced State Clinical Trial Consortium (UG3/UH3 Clinical Trial Required)
- RFA-DK-19-018 The Physiology of the Weight Reduced State Data Coordinating Center (U24 Clinical Trial Not Allowed)
- RFA-DK-19-019 Food as Medicine: Food Insecurity and HIV-related Comorbidities, Coinfections, and Complications within the Mission of the NIDDK (R01 Clinical Trial Optional)
This page last reviewed on May 18, 2021