NIH at the 2018 USA Science & Engineering Festival (USASEF)
Event Highlights from NIH
- An Exhibit – NIH will host a 6,550-square-foot anchor exhibit in the Health and Medicine Pavilion staffed with representatives from the NIH’s 27 Institutes, Centers, and Offices. Find our booth #1105 on the USASEF Expo map.
- Activities – (See the NIH Activities List and find them on the NIH Pavilion Map.) Engage in a number of hands-on activities focusing on health, biomedical and behavioral science topics. Experience how researchers use 3-D printers to transform digital files into physical objects. Isolate DNA with household products, handle real human brains, and measure your lung capacity. Measure the amount of sugar that is in common foods and drinks; and test your knowledge of regenerative medicine and biomedical imaging.
- NIH Nifty Fifty – This year, NIH has several employees that are part of the Nifty Fifty program. The Nifty Fifty are a group of inspiring Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) professionals who are available to speak about their work and careers at middle and high schools across the country during the 2017/2018 school year.
- Dr. Ruben Baler, Health Scientist, National Institute on Drug Abuse
- Dr. Alison Cernich, Neuropsychologist, National Center for Medical Rehabilitation Research
- Dr. Kelvin Choi, Social and Behavorial Researcher, National Institute on Minority Health and Health Disparities
- Dr. Griffin Rodgers, Physician-Scientist, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
Topics Explored at the NIH Pavilion
- The brain, and how it works
- Eye anatomy, and visual processing
- Laboratory research and biosafety
- Noise-induced hearing loss prevention, balance, and taste disorders
- Neurology, peer pressure, and alcohol use disorder
- Tissue engineering, biomedical imaging, and brain-computer interfacing
- Infrared imaging, and medical applications
- 3D printing, and technology
- Genetics, Immunology, and autoimmunity
- Toxicology, and environmental health science
- Healthy eating, and nutrition
- Complementary health approaches
Find Us at the Festival (Location of the NIH Pavilion, Booth 1105)
The NIH Pavilion (booth #1105) is on the lower level in Hall A of the convention center. As you enter the exhibit hall, look up to the rafters for the large NIH Ring circling above the NIH Pavilion area. Look for us on the Expo Map. NIH is the square within the purple trapezoid near Lockheed Martin.
This page last reviewed on April 13, 2018