NIH at the 2016 USA Science & Engineering Festival (USASEF)
Event Highlights from NIH
- An Exhibit – NIH will host a 5,600-square-foot anchor exhibit in the Health and Medicine Pavilion staffed with representatives from the NIH’s 27 Institutes, Centers, and Offices.
- Activities – (See the NIH Activities List and find them on the NIH Pavilion Map.) Engage in a number of hands-on activities focusing on health, biomedical and behavioral science topics. Experience how researchers use 3-D printers to transform digital files into physical objects. Isolate DNA with household products, handle real human brains, and measure your lung capacity. Measure the amount of sugar that is in common foods and drinks; and test your knowledge of regenerative medicine and biomedical imaging.
- Career Pavilion – Meet NIH scientists in the festival Career Pavilion on Saturday, April 16 from noon to 1:00 p.m. during a networking extravaganza where NIH staff will share information about their careers and unique career paths.
- Dr. Nora D. Volkow speaks at X-STEM – On Thursday, April 14, 9:00 a.m – 3:00 p.m. there is an X-STEM kick-off event that is the Festival’s “TED-style” conference where some of our nation’s most respected professionals in science and engineering talk to middle and high school students about their STEM careers. Dr. Nora D. Volkow, Director of the National Institute on Drug Abuse, is a pioneering research psychiatrist and scientist who has been instrumental in demonstrating that drug addiction is a disease of the human brain. She was named one of Time Magazine's "Top 100 People Who Shape our World", “One of the 20 People to Watch” by Newsweek magazine, Washingtonian Magazine’s “100 Most Powerful Women” and "Innovator of the Year" by U.S. News & World Report.
Dr. Nora D. Volkow,
Director of NIDA
Topics Explored at the NIH Pavilion
- The brain, and drug abuse
- Eye anatomy, and visual processing
- Noise-induced hearing loss prevention, balance, and taste disorders
- Neurology, peer pressure, and alcohol use disorder
- Tissue engineering, biomedical imaging, and brain-computer interfacing
- Infrared imaging, and medical applications
- 3D printing, and technology
- Genetics, Immunology, and autoimmunity
- Toxicology, and environmental health science
- Healthy eating, and nutrition
- Complementary health approaches
Find Us at the Festival (Location of the NIH Pavilion, Booth 801)
The NIH Pavilion (booth #801) is on the lower level in Hall A of the convention center. As you enter the exhibit hall, look up to the rafters for the large NIH Ring circling above the NIH Pavilion area. Look for us on the Expo Map. NIH is the square within the purple trapezoid near Lockheed Martin.
This page last reviewed on December 9, 2019