- ORIP Home
- About ORIP
- Division of Comparative Medicine
- Division of Construction and Instruments
- Office of Science Education/Science Education Partnership Awards (SEPA)
- Research Funding
You are here
Freedom of Information Act Requests
You can request ORIP records that are not in the public domain by using the National Heart Lung and Blood Institute's Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) Service Center.
FOIA (5 U.S.C. 552) provides individuals with a right to access to records in the possession of the Federal government. The government may withhold information pursuant to nine exemptions and three exclusions contained in the Act.
How to Submit a FOIA Request
Before submitting a request under the FOIA, please check the Research Portfolio Online Reporting Tools (RePORT) database to determine if the information you are seeking is publicly available. RePORT provides access to reports, data, and analyses of NIH research activities, including information on NIH expenditures and the results of NIH-supported research.
If the information you are interested in is not in the public domain, please follow the suggestions listed below when preparing your FOIA request:
- Identify the records you are requesting. (Include, as applicable, specific information such as grant number and principal investigator's name, subject matter of the records, dates, originating office, etc.)
- State that you are requesting the records under the Freedom of Information Act.
- Include your contact information (address, telephone number, e-mail address) in case our office needs additional information to process your request.
- FOIA requests should be submitted in writing to the NHLBI FOIA Coordinator either by postal mail, fax, or e-mail using the contact information below.
NHLBI FOIA Coordinator
Freedom of Information Act Coordinator
National Heart Lung and Blood Institute
6705 Rockledge Drive, Suite 6070
Bethesda, MD 20892-7921
For More Information
Contact the NHLBI FOIA Coordinator using the contact information above, or visit the National Institutes of Health FOIA Office home page.