- ORIP Home
- About ORIP
- Division of Comparative Medicine
- Division of Construction and Instruments
- Office of Science Education/Science Education Partnership Awards (SEPA)
- Research Funding
You are here
Chimpanzee Management Program
The NIH Chimpanzee Management Program (ChiMP) supports long-term, cost-effective housing and maintenance at NIH-supported facilities for chimpanzees. ORIP provides programmatic oversight of the facilities and ensures they comply with the Animal Welfare Act, and policies concerning laboratory animal care and use.
In September 2002, the first award of a contract was made to Chimp Haven, Inc ., a private, nonprofit organization, to establish and operate a chimpanzee sanctuary. This federal sanctuary system provides lifetime care of retired research chimpanzees as mandated by the Chimpanzees Health Improvement, Maintenance, and Protection (CHIMP) Act of December 2000.
Standards were issued to implement provisions of the CHIMP Act, which authorized the Secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services to develop and publish standards of care for chimpanzees held in the sanctuary system. The standards apply to only those facilities receiving funds as a part of the federally-funded chimpanzee sanctuary system.
October 10, 2008, Federal Register Notice: Standards of Care for Chimpanzees Held in the Federally Supported Chimpanzee System (183K PDF, requires free Acrobat Reader ).
For further information, contact:
Harold Watson or Manuel Moro
Office of Research Infrastructure Programs
Division of Program Coordination, Planning, and Strategic Initiatives
Office of the Director
National Institutes of Health
One Democracy Plaza
6701 Democracy Boulevard, MSC 4874
Bethesda, Maryland 20892-4874 (20817 for express mail)
E-mail: Harold.Watson or Manuel Moro
COMPARATIVE MEDICINE LINKS
- Staff Contacts
- Program Areas
- Resource Directory
- Funding Opportunities
- Program Guidelines (112KB PDF)
- News & Events
- NIH Plan to Retire All NIH-Owned and -Supported Chimpanzees
- "Survival of Captive Chimpanzees: Impact of Location and Transfers"
- Chimpanzee Management Program 2013 (Archive)
- NIH Statement on the Alamogordo Primate Facility Chimpanzees
- Costs for Maintaining Humane Care and Welfare of Chimpanzees
- Statement on Relocation of NIH Chimpanzees